Expert in managing the complexities of global business practices and the Art of Negotiation, Claire now runs her own consultancy business CH Smith Consulting to help re-build government capabilities after conflict and to help companies navigate turbulent times.
Claire’s engaging keynotes and workshops draw on her vast experience within the Diplomatic Service and her subsequent career as a leading consultant.
Claire is also a visiting professor and lecturer at several UK universities and is an adviser to the monastic community of Ampleforth Abbey (the UK’s largest monastic community). Claire speaks near-native German, fluent French and Mandarin.
Claire’s Speaking Topics
Claire’s engaging keynotes and workshops draw on her vast experience within the Diplomatic service and her subsequent career as a leading consultant. Her keynote topics include:
- The Art of Negotiation and Problem Solving – Claire could include any or all of the following:
- How do we define success when negotiating?
- Applying skills from extreme contexts to daily business life and how to negotiate with people who do not share your mind-set.
- What are the integral persuasion techniques involved in achieving your aims and objectives – how does that differ between cultures?
- How do we adapt techniques when it comes to facing different types of negotiation and problem solving issues? In particular, what role does authenticity, communication, relationships and body language play?
- Effective communication; how to achieve your goals using appropriate skills based on preferences, experiences, cultural and national differences.
- Handling Change: behaviour, culture and resilience in the face of adversity. Claire could include any or all of the following:
- Living and working in a global business; how to adapt to new business cultures and environments and acknowledge the disruption involved.
- Dealing with disaster and downturns; what are the main factors to consider when forced to confront ambiguity and complexity and how to react to difficult operating environments.
- People and places in transformation: re-inventing countries and re-inventing yourself. Do specific behaviours and attitudes transcend culture when dealing with change?
- How to mitigate risk when it comes to dealing with uncontrollable external factors.
- Does handling successful change stem from forward thinking and planning or is a resilient attitude the most essential characteristic?